We are delighted to welcome you and your child to our nursery. Oakwood nursery will greet you and your family into a friendly atmosphere, where children will be encouraged to achieve to their full potential in all areas of development, and where nursery life will be a fun, relaxed and positive experience.
Oakwood Nursery provides childcare and education for children aged from 6 months to 5 years old.
We are registered with OFSTED on the Early Years Register. Copies of the nursery Ofsted inspection are displayed in the foyer.
Our Nursery aims to:
- Provide a happy, safe, warm and stimulating environment for all children to play, learn and develop freely. Help children to develop responsibly for themselves and their actions and to become competent, confident, independent and cooperative individuals.
- Encourage children to have a positive attitude and respect for both themselves and other people. Promote positive relationships with parents/carers and work in partnership with them to provide high quality play and care for their children.
- Offer inclusive services that are accessible to all children in the community.
- Undergo regular monitoring and evaluation of our services to ensure that the nursery continues to meet the needs of children and parents/carers.
Our Nursery is committed to providing:
Care and activities that put the needs and safety of children first.
A programme of activities that is interesting, educational, stimulating and fun. Activities that promote each child’s social, physical, moral and intellectual development. Access to a variety of facilities and equipment under safe supervised conditions.
A staff team that is experienced, well trained and properly supported. Services that meet the conditions of the Childcare Act 2006 and all other relevant childcare legislation, wherever they apply.
An environment, where no child is bullied or suffers discrimination in any form.
To read about our daily structure please visit Our Day at Nursery
The Early Years Education Entitlement for 2, 3 and 4 year olds
We provide the 15 hour Early Years Entitlement.
We can also offer wrap around care for your child/ren if needed. If you require any more information please contact the manager.
6 months- 2 years old: £4.40 per hour
2 years- 3 years old: £4.10
3 years – 4 years old: £3.90 per hour (for wrap-around care)
Our ratio is in accordance with OFSTED:
6 months-2 years 1:3 1 member of staff to 3 children
2 years – 3 years 1:4
3 years- 4 years 1:8/1:12 with EYP
We would like to have a ‘Partnership of Choice’ for the key worker system therefore we have linked staff with children who have built relationships or are requested by the parents/carers.
An identified member of staff will be your child’s key worker; they will be responsible for keeping Learning Journeys up to date and assessing their development.
However all staff will be involved in meeting your child’s needs throughout the day and making observations and working on individual next steps.
If you have any concerns relating to your child please do not hesitate in contacting either your child’s key worker or the management team.
Settling in visits
All children are unique and the amount of time that a child takes to settle into our Nursery can vary enormously. Therefore, children will be given time to settle in at their own pace, so as to make them feel welcome, safe and confident in a new environment.
We encourage parents to help during this time.
We will follow guidelines set out by the Department on Health and Foundation on Sudden Infant Death.
We will take account of individual wishes. Please refer to the sleeping policy.
It is advised that parents of babies 6 months – 1 year old provide all meals and snacks. Fresh food will need to be provided daily.
All formula milk bottles must be ready made and also provided daily.
Please label all containers and bottles.
We will provide bowls, cutlery and bibs.
Our lunches are provided by Chartwells catering company. The meals are produced in Oakwood School’s kitchen and offer a two course lunch with a vegetarian option. The menus meet the food based standards for nursery schools.
Prices for our lunches are £1.79 and menus can be found in the foyer.
If you would like to celebrate your child’s birthday or any other event at nursery we would be more then happy for you to provide food and cakes. Please see a member of staff to arrange this.
We recognise the importance of building a strong partnership with parents/carers, therefore we encourage you to be involved in your children’s learning and time at nursery.
You can help us by:
- For children aged between 6 months and 3 years old we ask that you provide a home/nursery diary, in it we will tell you about your child’s day together with any information on eating, sleeping and nappy changes. You can also use the diary to write any information which you think is relevant for the staff to know. We ask that you bring the diary each of the days that your child attends Nursery.
- Completing a Language Checker before entry to nursery.
- Engaging with your children’s next steps.
- Sharing experiences your children have had outside of nursery.
We do not allow anyone to pick your child up unless we have already been made aware in advance of the changes so it is very important that we know who is picking your child up at the end of the day. If the person collecting your child is someone that we do not know please provide the staff with the name and a description of the person plus a password for them to use on entrance to the nursery. Without this information we will need to contact you before handing your child over.
Regrettably, we cannot have children who are ill at nursery due to the risk of cross infection, during these times the minimum exclusion period for illness and disease which is issued by the Health Protection Agency will come into place. If your child is taken ill at nursery we will contact you so it is very important that we have up to date contact details.
Please read the policy and procedure pack and do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff if you have any queries.